I love fish curry. It’s something I made up when I couldn’t be bothered to defrost chicken. I was tired, hungry and didn’t have a lot of time to spend cooking something. I took out the salmon from my freezer and made a super quick and healthy meal that I’ve cooked ever since. Perfect with bread, rice, couscous and even on its own with salad.
I guarantee you will be making this recipe again and again!
- (These are based on 3 salmon fillets)
- 3 fillets of salmon (part of the 8 piece pack bought from Marks and Spencer)
- 1 sliced onion
- 2 tomatoes (or more if you want to make it more saucy.)
- Whole spices like cloves, cinnamon sticks
- Bay leaves (1-2)
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- 1/2 coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp red chilli powder
- 1/2 tblsp ginger
- 1/2 tblsp garlic
- Salt to taste
- Lemon juice (quantity up to you, start with a tblsp)
- Whole green chillies
- Fry one sliced onion in olive oil till its golden brown. Add in a teaspoon of garlic and a teaspoon of ginger. Add in loose spice; cloves and cinnamon sticks (broken into pieces), and bay leaves. Stir fry for a bit and add in loosely chopped tomatoes. I used 2 for 3 fillets of salmon.
- Stir fry and let’s the tomatoes loose their water. Once they’re half dry add 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder (a little bit goes a long way), coriander powder, garam masala and chilli powder. Again- use your own estimation. Half a teaspoon is a good way to start and then add more as you go. And salt to taste, of course 😃
- Stir fry and add a little water, may be 1/4 cup. When you see the water is starting to evaporate, add the fillets of salmon and add the whole green chillies on top. Shake the pan to ensure the masala is covering the fish evenly.
- Add water as per how much sauce/curry/masala you want and cover. Lastly, squeeze in lemon juice- again depending on how much of it you want to taste in your curry. Let it simmer on low heat till you see a thin film of oil appear on the sides of the pot.
- I find this recipe works great with frozen fish as I can leave it on low heat to simmer and the fish cooks through perfectly- soaking in all the flavours. You can also cook it with defrosted fish but don’t make it too watery as the fish will cook quicker than it will take the water to evaporate! It will just be a watery mess 🙈
- All in all this should take you 20-25 mins max.
- Enjoy! 🐟🐟👌🏼
Dinner is served- my super quick and easy Fish Curry made with Salmon. Got in my belly in under 10mins. Avoided white rice and had it with cous cous- gotta count for something right? 🤔😬😂
More recipes to follow! Lots of catching up to do. Do check out my Instagram (Food_Diaries_London) too! X