Controversial title for some but when you’re celebrating Pancake Day 🥞 after work, you need savoury pancakes for dinner to do the trick. Of course, who said you can’t have sweet pancakes for dessert after? 💁🏻♀️🙃
T’was the Tuesday aka Shrove Tuesday for some or National Pancake Day for others. Either way, it’s a day to celebrate a particular favourite of almost any food loving person 🧐
I left work with an idea of flavours I wanted, the textures and the colours.
With an array of ingredients I got to work.
FYI my recipes work on estimate- I cannot follow instructions to the T so follow your instinct, be adventurous and if you can afford to- make mistakes. You’ll become a better cook if you do. I also think that way you never stifle your creativity when it comes to cooking 👩🏻🍳
Cumin infused American Style Savoury pancakes:
1 and 3/4
bought the Waitrose own brand for 98p)
1 and 1/3 cups milk
2 teaspoons baking powder
Cumin seeds (quantity up to you)
Salt, to taste
Margarine, butter or olive oil for cooking
- For dry ingredients: in a bowl, add the flour, baking powder, cumin seeds and salt.
- In a separate bowl, add the two eggs to the milk and whisk. Use a fork if you don’t have a whisk. Don’t let lack of utensils hold you back 😆
Once you have whisked the ingredients, add the olive oil or melted butter and whisk a little bit more.
- Add the liquid mixture to the dry ingredients and whisk with a fork or you can even use a big wooden spoon. Don’t worry about the lumps, they will disappear once you start mixing.
- Get a non stick pan ready (ensure heat is not too high, you want to cook the pancakes through and not burn them 😩)
I used margarine to cook my pancakes.
- Carefully ladle the pancake mixture into the pan. If you’ve got a jug, you can also use that to slowly pour the mixture into the pan. You can aim for a round pancake but hey, it needs to taste great as a priority. (You can practice the geometry later 😆)
- Once you see bubbles appear on the top, that means the pancake is ready to flip.
I went with a DIY PANCAKES theme so also made a Chickpea Masala to go with it. Accompanied the pancakes with homemade guacamole, sunblushed tomatoes, feta cheese, cheddar cheese, yogurt, hummus and mixed salad leaves. You can choose your own toppings if you wish!