I ❤️ tomatoes 🍅!
My fridge is always full of different types of tomatoes: vine, cherry, piccolo, in passata form…it’s all there 😂
Rather than buy packaged roasted tomatoes from super markets, I’ve started making and preserving my own. Easy on the pocket and I can make it in big batches.
Once made, they’re super versatile to use: in pastas, toasties, eggs…options are endless!
- Cherry tomatoes of your choice
- Sea salt. I use Maldon Sea Salt flakes
- Mixed herbs (oregano, basil, coriander) or you could use just one type if you prefer
- Olive oil- has to be a good quality olive oil as it makes such a big difference. I either use Monini or Il Casolare extra virgin olive oil
- I , sometimes, like to add fresh chopped garlic (also helps with preserving)
- My way of cooking is quite rustic and I don’t follow exact portions or quantities. Get a big non-stick dish or in the absence of non-stick, stick a sheet of foil, and drizzle olive oil on top.
- Slice the cherry tomatoes in half. If you can’t be bothered, just put the whole tomatoes in with stalks. I’ve done both versions and they’re both equally delicious 👌🏼
- Sprinkle sea salt, herbs as per your preference and add in the garlic.
- Mix with a spoon or clean hands 😜
- Stick in a pre-heated over of 160 degrees. Let the tomatoes cook for 20-30 mins, regularly checking in between.
- They should start to caramelise and have a roasted sheen.
- Once ready, you could either remove some of the oil and keep it separate for dunking bread in it 🤤 OR you could transfer all of it in an air-tight jar.
And your roasted sun blushed tomatoes are ready to be enjoyed 👩🏻🍳